Saturday, September 1, 2012

Where Do You Start With These Things?

Hi there! I’ve been tossing around the idea of writing a blog for about a year now and finally decided there was no reason for me not to start one, so I’ve decided to just bite the bullet and go for it. And here we are! September 1st; I like starting new things on beginning dates, ie the beginning of the year, month, or week, and this, my first post! I don’t really know what to write about though, so I guess I’ll start with what I’m working on now.

It is Labor Day weekend, so I have big plans for my yard, to get it prepped for fall, and I’m hoping the rain doesn’t put the kibosh on everything. I was inspired by my sorority sister’s blog, Our Family of Three, to create a list; lists are exciting to me, of things I’d like to accomplish. I started big with the things I want to do by the time I’m 30, 2 yrs and almost 5 mos from today. One of those items was to start a blog, (One down! YAY!) but I still desperately need to work on my look, so look out for lots of changes with that! Some of the other items are fairly lofty and require more time and money so I’ll be breaking it down into smaller parts for each year to get the big things crossed off. I’ll post the full list later, but for now, I’ll tell you that on that list is also the goal to update the landscaping of our front and back yards, which is what I’m working on now.

Two years ago we moved to Louisville, KY (where my hubs is from) and bought a house. It’s pretty great, sitting at the back of a cul-de-sac backing up to woods in J-town. With the house came 16, or so, gardens, yes I did say 16 gardens, but most of them are small with only 2-3 plants in them. Anyway, I love plants, but maintaining that many gardens is just not feasible for me, so many have gone to the way-side and look pretty pitiful. 
This is the front of our house. I actually cleaned it up a little last weekend.
I love the Celosia (roosters comb) in the front garden.
Don't mind the plants on the porch. They'll be finding a new home in the garden soon!
This little garden always seems to naturally be in the best shape.
This one actually looks best in the spring, but the Black-Eyed Susan's add some nice color in the fall too.
I’d like to combine many of them into just a few larger gardens, however, I first have to clean-up the gardens I’m planning on expanding into the “main” gardens and get them in proper order, otherwise I’ll never be able to get the transplants in. I’m waiting until it gets a little cooler before digging up the plants that are moving, since most of them are bulbs and not finished with their cycle from this season yet, but at least the beds will be ready for them when they’re able to be moved.

There are 2 Lilies and 3 Hostas in this garden, I promise. This is the garden I want to make the main garden in the back .
4 more Lilies. They'll be moved into the other garden in the fall.
Yikes! These are partially in as bad of shape as this because of my two dogs running and digging through them. In the corner grows 2 more Lilies and a Peony. On the right is an Iris garden. Both gardens will also be transplanted in the fall.
I also want to start decorating for fall. One of my other 30 before 30 goals is to have a seasonal rotation of decorations for throughout the house, but since I’m not a millionaire I’ll have to make many of them and it’ll probably take the full 2 yrs to get a decent collection to rotate through. I love wreaths and a big part of the seasonal rotation will be switching wreaths out. I already have a great Christmas wreath that I made last year, and a festive spring wreath I made when we first moved in, but I don’t have a fall wreath, so that’s what I’m going to put together first, I’ll post a tutorial later!


No comments:

Post a Comment